Job Title: Community Care Assistant
Location: 38146 Behrner Dr, Squamish, BC
Shift: Morning, Night, Overnight
Come work as a Community Care Assistant with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Community Health Worker to join the Home Support Team in Squamish, BC. Apply today to join our team! Community Health Workers are a core part of our communities as caregivers and make a significant impact on the quality of life of their clients and patients. We reimburse mileage between client visits, ferry travel cost (if applicable) and difference between “To and From work” and “Business” class insurance coverage.
As a Community Care Assistant at Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Work under the direction of the Supervisor/Coordinator/Manager or delegate to provide home support services to clients.
- Assist clients with varied levels of care, observe, and report significant changes in the client’s presentation.
- Collaborate with the health care team, clients and their caregivers to maximize independence with activities of daily living (ADLs) and instrumental activities of daily living (IADLs).
- Motivate, encourage, and involve clients in their care.
- Provide input and feedback in the care planning process to the health care team.
Education & Experience
- Graduation from a recognized Health Care Assistant Program.
- Current/Active Registration with BC Community Health Worker and Care Aide Registry.
- Experience interacting with persons with dementia, geriatric and/or palliative population will be an asset.
- Valid BC Drivers License. Local travel requires the use of a personal vehicle.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Basic knowledge of client-centered care and promoting independence.
- Demonstrates correct use of body-mechanics and knowledge of injury prevention.
- Knowledge and ability to operate mechanical lifts, following safe work procedures.
- Knowledge in workplace violence prevention including personal safety techniques.
- Knowledge of patient centered care with people with dementia.
- Demonstrated ability to practice from a harm reduction approach.
- Basic technology literacy and ability to operate a computerized client care information system and cellular phone.
- Demonstrates proficiency in verbal, nonverbal, and written skills through a variety of communication methods (e.g. paper
- and/or electronic chart, telephone and in-person).
- Basic knowledge of self-care and motivational support.
- Demonstrated ability to apply culturally safe and competent care, including when working with Indigenous peoples.
- Ability to organize workload priorities within a team environment.
- Ability to take direction from the health care team and clients.
- Ability to perform home management skills (e.g. vacuuming, sweeping, preparing meals, etc.).
- Ability to motivate clients and encourage progression through therapeutic goals.
- Ability to respond effectively and appropriate in a workplace setting.
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
As per the current Public Health Orders, as of October 5, 2023, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have received a single dose of the most-recent, updated COVID-19 vaccine. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and “going first” when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Thank you for your interest in Vancouver Coastal Health.
Who can apply to this job?
The employer accepts applications from:
- Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents of Canada.
- Other candidates with or without a valid Canadian work permit.
How to apply
Online: Apply On Company WebSite